After 25 years of work in the mind/body field with author Thomas Crum, Judy now devotes much of her time to fiber arts. Her work has been exhibited both nationally and internationally.
Her art quilts are characterized by bold shapes and delicate detailed stitching. Her handwork similarly reflects a reverence for delicate stitchery expressions.
Love of nature and passion for travel reflect in her art. Appliqué figures prominently in her favored techniques as well as digital imagery printed on fiber and hand stitching. Whether free motion quilting, composing a quilt in Photoshop, or quietly stitching a piece of handwork, Judy’s work embodies a meditative approach.
When not involved with her art, Judy is on the board of the FFA, a charitable group working with the poor in India. She has practiced the art of aikido for the past 30 years and directed a dojo in Rochester, NY for much of that time. She now spends much of her time in Spokane, WA where her studio is located.
I have always been in awe of the power of nature to wordlessly invoke emotion and lift humans out of their egos into a state of true connectedness with others. Similarly, I have been fascinated with the ability of color and texture to express and invoke emotion. In my art, I use the interplay of color, texture and design to achieve similar goals, make social statements and inspire centered states of being. My process involves quieting my mind and listening to the fiber, allowing my fingers to give voice to what I hear in the silence.
- 2017 Patchwork Design Expo, Brazil
- Material Measurement – Magnitude, Meaning & Makers, Museum & Arts Center in the Sequin – Dungeness Valley, WA 2016
- La Conner Quilt Textile Museum 2016 International Juried and Judged Quilt and Fiber Art Festival, La Conner, WA
- Taiwan International Quilt Exhibition 2016, Taiwan
- Quilts: A World of Beauty, IQF Judged Show, Houston, 2015
- Sacred Threads Traveling Exhibition, 2015-2017
- Sacred Threads Exhibition, Herndon, VA, 2013 & 2015
- New Directions ’14, Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie, NY, 2014
- Fabulous Fibers Exhibit, Main Street Arts Gallery, Clifton Springs, NY 2013
- Tubac Center for the Arts “Threads” Exhibit, Tubac, AZ, 2013
- Juried Art Exhibit, At the Mac Auction, Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, Spokane, WA, 2013
- La Conner Quilt Textile Museum 2011-14 International Juried and Judged Quilt and Fiber Arts Festivals, La Conner, WA
- River Walk Artists Gallery International Juried Exhibition, East Grand Forks, MN, First Place Award, 2013
- ARTQUILTSwater, Professional Art Quilters Alliance – South Juried Exhibit, 2013
- Northwest Quilting Expo, 2012
- La Conner Quilt Textile Museum 2012 International Juried & Judged Quilt Festival, La Conner, WA
- “Branching Out” Exhibit, Williams Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2012
- Taiwan International Quilt Exhibition 2012, Tainan, Taiwan, & Taichung, Taiwan
- Loveland Colorado Museum Gallery Special Exhibit, No Place to Call Home, July 1-September 16, 2012
- “Off The Wall” Exhibit, Arts and Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, 2012
- Infinity Art Gallery, Political and Social Art Exhibit, October-December 2011
- La Conner Quilt Textile Museum 2011 International Juried & Judged Quilt Festival, La Conner, WA
- Stone Hill Quarry Art Park 2011 Juried Exhibition: The ArT-QuILT ExPERIENCE
- “Birds, Bees, and Butterflies” Juried Exhibit, Lazarus Gallery of United Hebrew of New Rochelle, NY, 2011
- SAQA No Place to Call Home Traveling Exhibit, 2010-2011
- SAQA Auction Contributor, 2010-2013
- This is a Quilt! SAQA’s 2011-2012 Traveling Trunk Show
- Genesee Valley Quilt Club (GVQC) 2009 Show: 3rd place Maiden Quilter category – Golden Delight (commissioned piece)
SAQA Journal, Fall 2016, SAQA Member Gallery: Adventure
SAQA Journal, Fall 2013, SAQA Member Gallery: Water
SAQA Journal, Summer 2011, Preparing Your Mind and Body for Creating Art